Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Who's driving?

Here are fragments of Judy McDonald's article "Jesus take the wheel" Click here for the full article. Thanks to cecile for linking this site. I love it.

Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this all on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
To save me from this road I'm on
Jesus take the wheel

-Carrie Underwood


What a nice song. I can just imagine Carrie driving home on a cold winter's night as her car spins hopelessly out of control and her hands fly up and she yells, “Jesus take the wheel!”

Well duh, Carrie! Who wouldn’t yell for Jesus to take over when they were about to die in a horrible car crash!


...

But, let’s go back to that paragraph right above and point out something that I wrote, “…When I really look at my life I let Jesus handle pretty much all of it.” Did you catch it? “Pretty much all of it” means that there are some things in my life that to be perfectly honest I think I can handle better than Jesus (Now reading a statement like that makes me think I should check myself into somewhere nice for a few months to wear a bathrobe all day and play volleyball, because now I have a God complex or something). I’m saying, “Look Jesus, I know you made the mountains and the sea and even the hippos and those are all awesome, but I think I can handle this one on my own. Thanks, I’ll call you when it’s your turn to drive."


It's really funny when you think about it. We say that God is in control of our lives when in many situations, we like to do things on our own. We don't realize that God should be driving all the time. We often just ask God to start working is when we don't know what to do anymore.

Some people say that trusting God is the down-side of religion. I don't think it is. All my life I've known that He was watching over me, guiding me in every situation. Trusting doesn't mean 'I'm going to sit here forever and wait for him to give me good grades, arrange this event or buy me food.' It means knowing that I'm not alone in every situation. It means knowing that everything that happens to me has a purpose. It means knowing that there is a plan for me and it's much more greater than any plan I've ever made for my life. It means knowing that life isn't only about what I want. It's more about what God wants me to do with my life. And with that trust, we find our true purpose and we allow God to lead us to places we've never imagined before.

Like the author, there are still times I forget that God is in the driver's seat. But whenever I remember that, I feel more at ease because I know that He can never go wrong.

No comments: