Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Pagpapakatotoo

It all started with Wendy of Pinoy Big Brother Season 2. She was acting improperly and inconsiderately inside the house. What did she call it? Pagpapakatotoo.

When people were asked who was the housemate they liked the most? When people would select Wendy, they would say. "Kasi totoo siya."

Those statements caused me to hyperventilate.

Now, in the teen edition, they are accusing Rona, who is super hardworking, who tries to be as impartial and just as she can, of not being true. The girls were angry at the new girl because of the things she accusingly said. Rona was still being nice and considerate. She didn't want to shun the new girl. Hindi daw siya nagpapakatotoo. According to my sister, Rona answered by saying hindi ibig sabihin ng pagpapakatotoo, mali ka.

And now I appreciate and support Rona even more. Haha..

How painful and sad that some people, if not the majority of Filipinos, believe that it's fine to treat other people wrong when you have negative feelings toward them kasi nagpapakatotoo ka lang naman. Have we become too lazy to fix our conflicts and just resign to acting like big babies when we're angry? I mean come on. They were asking Rona to not talk to the girl they were angry at. Correct me if I'm wrong but those remind me of how we were during the first few years of grade school.

Even without considering what religion says, I still believe we are intrinsically good. Being true to our selves means finding that good. And in conflict, it means settling the issues at hand. Admitting your feelings and acting on them sounds to me more pagpapakatotoo-like than hiding from them and being negative.

No comments: