Saturday, February 18, 2006

YMSAT week (part 2-math club events)

And now as Math Club members, we get to do the most enviable tasks.

·First off, Fatima gave the Math club symposium regarding the Pythagorean theorem (I know… It’s nerdy but who cares. People from other schools actually signed up to attend it. Haha.) I was there to support and conduct games and stuff. It was fun. Most of the group seemed to have fun too. For the 1st and 2nd years who were there, SOH-CAH-TOA will now be one of the topics they will await with much joy and excitement in their hearts in the year/s to come.

·Math intersection of the 1st year was the only one I was able to proctor in. For the team competition, I proctored Topaz who won 2nd place. *applause* The determining factor for their victory was the 9 points they earned from the difficult round. They were very active children but if that’s the way they solve Math problems then who am I to object. lol. *another round of applause*

·For the individual round, I was supposed to proctor Ysy Alvero but since Neon Antonio was according to ate Pauline a difficult proctoree(I do know that’s not an actual word), I was transferred to him. He almost won. He was after-all 1st at the end of the easy round and 2nd at the end of the average. He was 5th at the end of the difficult round. He almost got the very difficult question correctly with bonus points because he raised his flag but he had one extra digit in the answer that required only 7. Neon will forever remind me of the 7-digit number 9765431 and the 8-digit number 97654321. After raising his flag, he wanted to check if there were only really 7 digits in his answer. It turned out there were 8. Sad but he performed really well even if he wasn’t feeling very well and according to him wasn’t good at solving math problems. But as he said, what was important was that he had fun. He also made proctoring a moody yet very appreciative proctoree enjoyable for ate Pauline and I. lol. *applause*

·Friday is math interscholastics competition day. Janel, Fatima, Kristine and I were in charge of registration. The schools that arrived were (in alphabetical order) Ateneo, Chang Kai Shek, Grace Christian, La Salle Zobel, Mandaluyong Science, Parañaque Science, Paref Woodrose, Rizal High School, San Francisco, St. Stephen’s, Tarlac High School, Uno, UP Rural (Laguna), and one more I apparently forgot. Fatima and I proctored one of the rooms where the guests were taking the eliminations stage, the written exam because some 4th years didn’t arrive. Then we checked the papers and found out who qualified for the finals.

·During the finals, I proctored in the individual round. I was assigned to Mico Cariño of the Ateneo, who is apparently the brother of my sister’s classmate in the Math DD of St. Paul. He started of pretty rough. There were 2 consecutive questions wherein he was the only one who was not able to get the answer correctly. He ended 9th after the easy round, 7th after the average round. And then the difficult stage came. Before that round, he was not fond of using his flag. Even if he got the answer quickly, he opted to check it once again. In the difficult round which had 5 questions, there were only 3 questions where the questions were correctly answered. He got the maximum score 9 points for 2 of the 3 because he used his flag. *applause* He ended 2nd after that round and since only one person answered the very difficult question correctly, he was able to end the competition in 2nd place. *applause once again* In contrast to the others I’ve proctored this year, Cariño was serious with what he was doing. In contrast to what a friend saw in his blog, I never reminded him he was in last place but as he mentioned correctly, I constantly reminded him of the scores. lol. I only told him his ranking when he was second already and congratulated him for that. haha

·Sadly, I wasn’t able to watch the team competition, the 1st time in my entire stay in Pisay because we met with Ma’am Edulan and ate Tin regarding the youth camp. In previous years, I attended all the Math club events. This year I wasn’t able to help out with the treasure hunt and the team finals. Sorry ate Athena. But this was the year where I most enjoyed every event I helped out with. I did in previous years but this year was extra fun. I’m sure you know that because I’ve used the word “fun” more times than I would usually do.

Yun lang. Haha. Kung umabot ka dito, salamat at nagtiyaga kang magbasa. Kung hindi, well hindi mo na to mababasa so wala akong message for you. Gosh. Ang bangag ko na. Yun lang. Bye.

No comments: